Friday, August 10, 2012

A Big Decision to Make

On Wednesday, my Dad and I went to see the Orthepedic who did surgery on my hip when I was 15 years old. He sat and talked with us for a good 30-40 minutes. He went into detail about a couple different options of surgery I can get. He talked about one option more than the other. We talked about the procedure, where he would go in and cut the ball and bone completly off, which means I wouldn't be able to have a hip replacement later in life. The other option would be a hip fusion, where they would fuse my hip together at a 30 degree angle. My hip would then be stiff, but I wouldn't be in pain anymore. The recovery time would be a lot longer than the first procedure. He explained to me that I probably wouldn't be able to move much during that time, which means I'd have to be in bed for at least three months, if not more, just to allow it to heal. After this ordeal is over, he said that I'd be able to function, but not be able to move my hip. I'd be able to bear weight on it and walk on it. I just don't know if I would be able to handle it. I don't have to make a decision right now, but in the next few months I do. However, I'm still not sure what I'm going to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment